Yes, I'm still alive.

I think it’s important to know our own limitations.

Like for instance, I cannot for the life of me make a decent cup of tea. I let it steep for twenty minutes; the bag is plunged for at least a hundred times+ and then I even squeeze that mother f***** for good measure. However, no matter how hard I try, the taste is always the same; weak, watery, and just downright disappointing.

Another limitation of mine is my ability to keep this blog updated regularly. I’m actually cringing about how long it has been between posts. I never intend to leave for as long as I do, and often while I’m out and about in the real world, I do think of topics and mentally write out a post in my head that I never get around to typing on paper.

As we all know, life can get hectic and for me, it’s been a crazy 8 months or so. Last October, I took on a full-time job as a baker while also keeping my previous shift work role.

Between the two jobs, I was working about 50 or so hours a week. I was tired, grumpy and probably about one misshapen cake away from going on a caffeine fueled rampage throughout Adelaide where I would take out any well-rested person in my vicinity.

My social life became practically non-existent. When I did manage to squeeze in a catch up, I detected at least one friend seeming to enjoy ‘my fall from grace’ and return into customer service, but I shrugged it off. By this point, I had completely given up on myself and lost faith that I would eventually find stable employment with my University degree. I was just grateful that I was finally earning a livable salary and simply ignored the fact that hours were putting me into an early grave.

Before I had landed the role as a baker, I had applied for a bunch of other jobs. One of which I had applied for about seven times without ever receiving the courtesy of a rejection letter.

About six weeks into working two jobs, I got invited for an interview at 2pm on a Monday which I accepted.

That fateful day I finished work at 1pm, changed in the public toilets and hoofed it into the city without the address. At 1.55pm I found myself staring at an empty abyss of where my interview should have been held. I hadn’t written down the address because for lack on a better word, I was an idiot. So I went into a random office and had the following conversation;

Me: "Excuse me, do you know where number thirty-three is? I can’t find it."

Receptionist: "We're forty-five, I’ll just google it for you. * thirty seconds later* Uh, there is no number thirty-three on this street."

Me: "Shit, I am supposed to have an interview there at 2pm."

Receptionist: "What was the name of the business?"

Me: "Blah blah."

Receptionist *types into the computer*: "Oh, you are literally across the road from it. It’s on the other side of this street across the main road."

Me: "Oh my god, thank you so much!"

I then ran over to the correct office and skidded in at 2pm exactly, panting and no doubt looking deranged. I gave my name to the receptionist and sat down, thinking that I would end up waiting for five or so minutes and would be able to calm down.

Nope. That didn't happen.

I was collected immediately and taken into the interview where I coughed, hacked and spluttered my way through all of their questions.

You know how sometimes you just know that you’ve bombed something?

That was how I felt by the time I walked out and even said something to the effect of ‘At least I’ve left an impression.’

I put the mortifying experience to the back of my mind until about a fortnight later when my referees informed me they had been contacted by said company. A week later I got offered the job and gleefully put in my two weeks’ notice as a baker (well I gave the dude a months’ notice so I wouldn’t screw them over during the Christmas season).

Then I began my role as a nine to five, Monday to Friday, office worker, which is hands down, the highest paying job I’ve ever had. I’m still catching up on sleep and adjusting to a normal sleeping pattern. I still have no idea how I managed to land this job, but I’ve been told coughing aside, I answered the questions really well.

Of course, there are down sides to this job. Such as having to spend eight hours a day sitting and staring at a computer screen; and some of the people I work with are just complete d****. However, for the most part, I really do love what I’m doing and by golly, it’s so nice having a stable income. I currently still have my shift work job on the side, but in a few weeks, I’ll give that the ass once I pass probation.

I haven’t worked much on my new novel, mainly because of adjusting to my new schedule and having tired eyes, but I am confident I’ll work out a writing schedule to smash it out.

I did recently write a new short story called ‘Drive to Dorothy’s.’ which I am attempting to have published in a magazine. I will update the blog if and when that happens, so stay tuned.

To conclude, this has been happening to me. I’m still alive and breathing, just working out the kinks to my new lifestyle.

This blog has also reminded me that I still need to give that receptionist that helped me get to my interview a box of chocolates.

My to-do list just keeps on growing.

Until next time,


+Exact number may be exaggerated.

Featured Posts